Friday, May 27, 2011

Refining Tastes

There comes a time in everyone's life when something that once seemed repulsive turns into something most loved; and vice versa. Whether this be someone you love, the music you love, religion, or anything for that matter; it seems to happen to everyone at some point.

I have come to a point in my listening of music where this has happened. Much of the music I find myself getting into are things I wouldn't have touched with a ten-foot pole even a year ago. These are all bands that are extremely concerned with melody and catchy-ness.

It's so funny to me that there was a point in my life where I was so concerned with being into bands that no one heard of that I had lost sight of the most important aspect of music: "Does it sound good?"

These following are all bands that I think almost everyone can listen to on this most primal level of music; it being memorable and fun to listen to.

Neon Trees- Habits (2010)

"Animal"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM7Hlg75Mlo

I had the good fortune of being able to play with these guys last summer at KRZQ's "Spring Forward By Paying it Forward". I wish I had an idea of who these guys were then. All I remember is the lead singer sitting upstairs with us and thinking "who is this guy with the mohawk and super tight pants?" They played an amazing set that night, and I've been hooked on their feel-good mixture of pop, dance, and punk influences that just keep offering up catchy lines to sing in your head day in and out. The Utah (yes Utah) based band has gotten some good exposure opening up for bands such as The Killers, however they are one of those bands that should really be receiving more credit for being both an amazing live and studio act. Check them out.

Carolina Liar- Coming To Terms (2008)

"I'm Not Over"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijSg4NkOIeY

This LA based band that hails from Carolina, and Sweden are an incredible pop/rock outfit that have climbed to minor success with the singles "Show Me What I'm Looking For", and "I'm Not Over". Possibly their biggest claim to fame is working with acclaimed Swedish pop producer Max Martin (Britany Spears, *N'snyc, Kelly Clarkson, Pink) The product proves to be a beautifully crafted pop rock record that does not disappoint at any minute in the record.

This is one of those albums that you can listen too, sing along with, be proud you listen to it, and say the same guy that helped write it wrote "...Oops I Did it Again." by Britany Spears. Weird, but super cool in my opinion.




So in the end, just take a few hours and give these albums a chance. It may seem drab or conventional at first, but these are the kind of bands that should be the face of popular music. It's fun and easy to listen too, but they are backed by some amazing talent and credentials.

No comments:

Post a Comment