Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Faking It

What do you do when something amazing happens at exactly the wrong time? In my case I am finding some shelter in music. It is so insane to me that everything presents itself when it is supposed to, and tonight was no exception.

On my drive home I was feeling horrible. In fact, a decision I made earlier is currently enveloping me more than it should. Oh well.

Anyway, I decided to put on Brand New's album "The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me" to counteract and siphon my displeasure. This record has been one of my favorites ever since one of my good friends showed it to a couple years ago; with one exception. The song "Jesus Christ" just never did it for me. It always seemed like a single, dragging riff that kept you hanging just long enough until the next track started. Admittedly a track that I've skipped numerous times while listening to the album, however tonight this song really made an impression on me tonight.

"Jesus Christ" really pertains to the fact that music is all feeling and emotion. Such a simple riff recreated the most amazing and accurate emotion that I was feeling on my drive home. For the first time I really understood what Jesse Lacey was going for when he wrote this song. How much time, work, and feeling went into this. I commend you, good sir.

"Jesus Christ"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCCyuIEucYs&feature=fvwrel

No comments:

Post a Comment