Wednesday, May 4, 2011

It's time to mix things up a bit

A great exercise for anyone in this day and age is to put their iTunes (or applicable music player) on shuffle mode and just listen. At least for me, I tend to become bored or fall into listening niches on a weekly on monthly basis. Shuffling is an excellent way to keep ourselves interested. It provides a great retrospect on our surprisingly eclectic music tastes.

Here's my first fifteen shuffle tunes that came up tonight; along with a short description of each:

(song/album/artist)

1. Everything Reminds Me of Her/Figure 8- Elliot Smith
I first got into Smith after a gnarly breakup. It reminds me of her (pun intended) but all in a good light. He's one of the first artists that I really connected with on a deeper level. Depression, drug use, and general discontent are all themes that run deep in Elliot Smith's music & lyrics; and are all things that one deals with at some time in their lives on many different levels. Fortunately happiness stemmed from listening and getting into Elliot Smith, so all I have to say is that this song reminds me of a time in my life that I learned a great deal from; and for that I am proud.

2. Kryptonite/The Better Life- 3 Doors Down
Really... I don't know where this came from or how it got on my iTunes, but shit; a great song. Simple, to the point, and it gets stuck in your head. It reminds of a time exactly like that. When music to me was a virgin experience, one that meant simply if it sounded good I liked it. I'm coming to realize that's still all that matters, but it's still one that is not as prestine as the first time I listened to this song.

3. Cold Hands/Crash Love- A.F.I.
This is admittedly a band that I'm becoming less and less interested in through the years, however this song is one that I thoroughly enjoy. A nice, crunchy guitar riff provided by Jade Pugett drives the song, and the song moves seamlessly through intro/verse/choruses. I like it.

4. Onemosphere/God Loves Ugly- Atmosphere
What I love about Atmosphere is that the lyricist Slug (Sean Daley) has completely changed his perception of life throughout his career. This early album proves to be part of his "I'm a badass rapper" stage. Aside from that, Atmosphere is one of the few hip-hop outfits that I honestly LOVE. They are unique, fun, and keep you guessing. This song is no exception.

5. What It Is/ Genesis- Busta Rhymes
Again, I'm not sure how this is on my computer. It's really good to mix it up again. This songs reminds me of middle school. I remember talking to my mom on the way to school about how my dad watched MTV after we left to go to my earlybird Jazz Band class. I remember being really impressed that my dad was into Busta Rhymes (who wouldn't be). Not on my normal listening regime, but that's what this exercise is for, right?

6. Triad/ Lateralus- Tool
Math and Industrial rock collides. I like it. I am reminded of my friend Wyatt talking about how the inner sleeve of this album is laden with a math equation that is (for lack of a better phrase) "not easy to figure out or understand". Too is a band I desperately want to get into and understand, however I just can't find it in me to attach to it in any way. It's good, complex, and gives the listener a lot to think about moth lyrically and musically; but give me Blink 182's "What's My Age Again" over this any day.

7. I Belong To You/ Resistance- Muse
Easily my favorite song on this album. It's so delightfully sexy, beautiful, and easy to listen to. I LOVE this song. The bass clarinet solo gives me the chills every single time, and the piano interlude leaves me yearning for some mid-century classical music to drink a deep and complex red wine to. It is a simply beautiful song.

8. Crackity Jones/Doolittle- Pixies
A band that helped create the "loud/soft/loud" formula that paved the road for countless other artists. This song is a loud, fast, and sloppy number that shows where the Pixies came from. I love that a band that created such an iconic song as "Where is My Mind" also plowed through a gnarly punk rock song like this without any hesitation.

9. Hold On/ A Poet's Life- Tim Armstrong
The frontman of Rancid, Tim Armstrong helped all of us remember not to forget your roots. His solo album is nothing but pure rootsy old-school reggae. This song leaves me reminiscing the greatest winter I've had so far, spent with one of my greatest friends on the ski hill. I can recite this album from front to back because I've listened to it countless times.

10. Under Control/ Room On Fire- The Strokes
Junior Year. This was one of the first songs and albums that launched me into a further understanding of music. I always think of a band at a high school dance in the 1950's for some reason. The Strokes are band that I will always hold very close to my heart for breaking me out of a rut of punk rock that I might still be stuck in.

11. The Lady Killer Theme (Intro)/ The Lady Killer- Ceel Lo Green
Though not a justifiable "song", this album has reset my zero for what popular music can and should be. The entire record is so soulful and tinged with a 1970's vibe that has been; but should have not been forgotten. Thank you Cee Lo for bringing back real R&B

12. Immature/Homogenic- Bjork
Once again, Bjork is an artist that has brought me out of the box so to speak. She creates such beautiful textures between her voice and her music. It truly is art. I'd like to thank one of my good friends for introducing me to her at the right time in order to appreciate who she is as an artist. Bjork is a great example of pushing the bounds of what music can be

13. I Only Want You/ Peace Love DeathMetal- Eagles of Deathmetal
I chose to get a tattoo of this album's cover on my ankle simply because it entitles everything music should be. The side project of Queens of the Stone Age's lead man Josh Homme, this roots rock outfit is just fucking rad. It's so simple and rock & roll. I had the privilege of meeting the bands frontman Jesse Hughes here in Reno, and he holds true to his bands mentality, "Peace, Love, Deathmetal". I love how this band is just about gettin' drunk and having fun. That's what rock music is about right?

14. Just A Habit/ You In Reverse- Built To Spill
BTS is one of those bands that you have to be into at one point. They are a great post-grunge rock band with a folky vibe. They remind me of my friend Chris, and in turn, memories of warm Tahoe Summers spent at the beach appreciating music. Such a great album that is in all honesty an ALBUM, which is harder and harder to find these days. All they songs play into each other perfectly, and when it ends you are okay with it ending.

15. Room Without a Window/ Operation Ivy- Operation Ivy
Tim Armstrong from Rancid's previous project. It fuses ska, punk, and reggae into one glorious idea. The lyrics are often politically tinged, but still catchy none-the-less. I really enjoy listening to this band. They were one of the first bands that made the iconic Gilman Street venue in Berkley, Ca famous. This song reminds me of my first band, Secret Weapon 8, that followed along the same lines musically.

No comments:

Post a Comment