Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The expansion of horizons

I don't know about you guys out there, but I've gone through so many musical changes, expansions, and realizations that it could be deemed ridiculous. I never realized how closed-minded that one can be when it comes to music. "Hate" is such a strong word while describing anything, and there are a couple of bands that I always found myself saying "I just don't like their music" and in some scenarios saying "I can't stand (insert band name here)'s music" One of these bands was The Smiths. I just couldn't stand Morrisey's voice. 

Nevermind the fact that The Smith's music has been described as influential for many of my favorite bands; I just didn't get it. 

However, there comes a point in every music lover's (or anybody for that matter) life that you just have to let go and decide to listen to some music objectively. And... Damn. I let go tonight and listened to The Smiths for the first time with an open ear. 

It's good, really good. Like anything and anybody, we are afraid and threatened by something we are unsure of. I've done the same thing with pretty much every band that is considered as one of "my favorites" to date, and I am grateful that I've had so many people around me that gently push me out of my comfort zone and into musical greatness.

So cheers to expanding our musical tastes!

No comments:

Post a Comment