Monday, June 11, 2012

Fighting Complacency

This morning as I woke up to go to work, I read possibly the most disturbing and depressing thing that I've ever heard. A few simple words stated as follows: "The key to success is complacency". Uhhh, what the fuck? Who says this? More importantly, who believes this?

This gave me quite the run for my money and got me thinking that I am, indeed, following this utterly disgusting guideline. The idea of doing what I'm not passionate about. Going to work everyday without a fire,  a drive, or any sort of idea about where this is going to take me next. I decided not to go to work today to think and reset.

A few factors are revolving around a rash, and most likely idiotic decision to leave a well paying job, where I like who I work with, have a great support system, and a friendly environment in which I don't mind going to 5 days a week. In all honesty, I have a great job. But to what standards?

Through life's experiences I would consider myself an artist. I know, a lofty statement to say the least. I appreciate making progressive and new music, and I enjoy making art in any medium. Sure I have a nice job with some killer benefits, but the hollow space where you're unable to stay creative has taken a huge toll on happiness, love, and finding more in life.

I had a long, and incredibly real conversation with one of my greatest friends last night about staying happy, and guess where we ended up? Do what you love, and love what you do.

The strive to stay passionate, the want and need to be creative. This is all I want from life. I don't want or need a ton of money. In every sense of the phrase "money does not buy happiness" I have realized this to a greater extent than I knew possible. When you have a truly fulfilling "job" is when you have achieved true happiness. Everyone's cup of tea is different, and finding just the right cup for me is where I'm at. I need a change, I need to thrive.

So complacency doesn't breed success. It breeds, well, complacency.

1 comment:

  1. ...and let's get one thing straight. I like my job. I like it a lot. I'm not lying. It's cool. It's fun. The people are great. Like anywhere there are good and bad days. The only point I try to emphasize is to do what you love. Don't stay complacent throughout your life.

    ReplyDelete